stillonmystring: (Default)
[personal profile] stillonmystring
Dude, my top thirty overall artists chart on Last.fm is so hot right now. Seriously.

1 Play    
1,063
2 Play    
991
3 Play    
978
4 Play    
731
5 Play    
703
6 Play    
684
7 Play    
679
8 Play    
672
9 Play    
638
10 Play    
620
11 Play    
551
12 Play    
535
13 Play    
534
13 Play    
534
15 Play    
530
16 Play    
515
17 Play    
506
18 Play    
502
19 Play    
499
20 Play    
489
21 Play    
487
22 Play    
480
23 Play    
476
24 Play    
466
25 Play    
438
26 Play    
434
27      
428
28 Play    
419
29 Play    
408
30 Play    
376

I just don't understand Tori being so high. I mean, I feel like I've barely listened to her at all in the past year. I guess it's just because she has so many songs that they start to add up after awhile. Everything else is A+ though. I want the Decemberists to be higher but almost all of those plays are within the last three months so it'll definitely happen eventually. I also think Copeland is a little too high considering, in my opinion, You Are My Sunshine completely owns everything else they've ever done backwards and forwards, and that playcount kinda makes it seem like I love them a lot more than I actually do since they're as high as other artists whose entire catalogues I adore. But I don't mind that much because YAMS is just that goddamn amazing. And holla at No Doubt! Since they've reunited, I've been hearing all this No Doubt on the radio and seeing their videos on TV and it is awesome. They fill me with such nostalgia and happiness and besides, they are basically one of the most amazing bands ever.

Anyway, I am just being bored late at night so ignore this rather meaningless entry.

Also, I sometimes like reading the super old entries in my Last.fm journal because they are a. hilariously poorly-written in my very self-critical opinion and b. a good way of seeing how my taste in music has evolved over the years. And I found this entry where I talked about how much I preferred female vocals over male vocals: "For a bit of background, out of 122 total artists that I have played only 17 are males or male-fronted bands. (However, I may have missed a few.) Out of those 17, only 5 are in the top 50. And out of those 5, there are only 3 that I really consider "favorites" or at least artists that I regularly listen to - Damien Rice, The Decemberists, and Jason Mraz." Funny how out of those three "favorites" I listed, The Decemberists are the only ones I listen to anymore and I probably liked them the least of the three back then. Also, now almost half of my top fifty consists of bands with male vocalists. Granted, probably more than half of those have female vocalists as well but that's a huge difference. I used to seriously pass over bands that sounded interesting if they were fronted by a guy which I think is totally ridiculous now. I still think I've probably got more girls than guys in my charts but all of my most recent favorite bands have guy singers. So thank God I grew out of that phase.

And I'm also really glad I grew out of my "must only listen to quirky girls with pianos" phase. I mean, I know some people would say it's downward growth to go from listening to people like Tori Amos and Veda Hille 24/7 to listening to a bunch of "emo" bands (though that's a totally illegitimate genre by this point) but I used to purposely seek out slightly "weird" music because I thought it was better to like that than music that's good but not necessarily unique and challenging and I don't think that's a very enjoyable way to listen to music. I value a well-constructed catchy pop song so much these days. 3/4 of the bands I listen to now I wouldn't have even considered listening to five years ago. And I am very happy with what I am listening to now. I can't even stand most sensitive singer-songwriter types these days because they all sound the same to me and I used to listen to so many artists just like that. Weird how things can change so completely. I don't actually notice my taste changing because it happens so slowly and seamlessly and there are always a few artists from each of my phases who stick around but it really has.

P.S. LOL. I'm looking at my oldest orders at Amazon right now... It's so weird to me that I ordered a Justin Timberlake DVD only a few weeks before I ordered Fiona Apple's albums and I ordered Madonna albums and fucking Spongebob Squarepants on DVD at the same time. What a strange combination of interests going on there. That was the very beginning of my musical transformation. Those Fiona Apple albums changed my life. Seriously. It was magical.

One more thing.

These were my charts before I reset them after one year of scrobbling:

1. The Dresden Dolls - 980 plays
2. Veda Hille - 881 plays
3. Imogen Heap - 675 plays
4. Kate Bush - 656 plays
5. Tori Amos - 595 plays
6. Neko Case - 569 plays
7. Sarah Slean - 518 plays
8. Fiona Apple - 500 plays
9. Dar Williams - 397 plays
10. Tegan and Sara - 374 plays
11. Regina Spektor - 326 plays
12. Faun Fables - 238 plays
13. Joni Mitchell - 237 plays
14. The Ditty Bops - 224 plays
15. Damien Rice - 207 plays
16. Mary Margaret O'Hara - 202 plays
17. Laura Nyro - 188 plays
18. Jolie Holland - 174 plays
19. Emily Bezar - 172 plays

20. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 171 plays
21. Nina Nastasia - 169 plays
22. The Fiery Furnaces - 168 plays
23. PJ Harvey - 155

24. Rilo Kiley - 151 plays
24. Frou Frou - 151 plays
26. Kristin Hersh - 149 plays
27. Gabriela Kulka - 121 plays
27. The Decemberists - 121 plays
29. Rasputina - 106 plays
30. Sufjan Stevens - 105 plays


Only twelve of those are in my top fifty now. Eight in my top thirty. I actually still love a few of them crossed out - Regina Spektor and Imogen Heap mostly but I haven't listened to them much in awhile because they haven't put out anything new and I've worn out their music (they're both putting out new albums this summer though!). But besides those two I could seriously care less if I ever hear any of those artists again. Craziness. As for the artists that are still on my chart, I guess it makes sense that most of those came from the top ten as those are basically my true loves that have lasted the test of time and I'll always hold a place in my heart for them even if they often get overshadowed by my newer discoveries. And I can't believe that was almost three years ago. Time flies by too quickly.

Profile

stillonmystring: (Default)
Shannon

January 2020

S M T W T F S
    1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 31st, 2026 05:24 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios